Vacations for Canadians

This is a question that we as travel agents are asked on an almost daily basis, and the answer is, YES! Although the land border remains closed to Canadians traveling to the US for non-essential reasons, we are allowed to enter by air. There are steps you need to take prior to take off, which we’ve outlined below.

When flying to the US, Canadians must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral (NAAT or antigen) test result taken no more than 72 hours before the scheduled departure time of their flight. The test result must include your full name and another identifier such as your date of birth or your passport number. This rule applies to all travelers whether vaccinated or not. Children under 2 are exempt from this requirement. And, of course, you must have a valid passport to cross the border by air.

Quarantine and travel restrictions do vary state-to-state. CNN has compiled links to all states and their most up-to-date requirements here. We recommend checking the requirements for the state you wish to travel to well ahead of your trip and consistently checking as it could change. Most mainland states are not currently requiring any quarantine period.

Before you fly home to Canada, you will be required to take a PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight and again, provide a printed original or digital proof of the negative result. This requirement applies even if you are fully vaccinated. For accepted test types and how to obtain a test, this website has all the information you need.

We also highly recommend visiting the websites below to find out all the steps you need to take to fly to and from the US, the accepted types of COVID-19 tests and for up-to-date restrictions and travel advisories.

·       https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

·       https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

If you were hesitating to book a vacation because you didn’t think you could fly to the US, you can rest assured that you will be able to travel. Contact us for a quote or more information.